[ltp] T520 Ubuntu 11.10 x64 - can't connect external monitor

Sat, 04 Feb 2012 11:09:01 +0000

Dear Fen,

It looks like you've tried most of the "obvious" things. A few thoughts:

1. Which driver are you actually USING? (it will say in Xorg.0.log which
drivers have been attempted, and which one it finally uses.) It's
sometimes possible to think you are using nouveau when you're actually
using nv, etc.

2. The nvidia binary blob also installs its own copy of (iirc) libGlx.
So to switch away from it, you need to completely uninstall the nvidia
packages, not just swap the xorg.conf.  [This info may be outdated, it
was certainly true last time I had such woes.]

3. Just in case, have you read this:
    http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Switchable_Graphics

4. I suspect that you may find this problem is solved "upstream". There
is a lot of troubleshooting you can do, but it may be worth installing
different distros to a live USB stick, and seeing whether any of them
will work for you. I'd suggest trying the unstable version of Ubuntu
(Precise Pangolin), and the latest Fedora. This experiment won't take
too long to do; Unetbootin will help.

Hope that helps - sorry I can't be any more specific.

Richard