[ltp] confused about power managment with T520 with Debian with no DE

Joerg Bruehe linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 05 Feb 2012 17:15:24 +0100

Hi everybody!

Jochen Spieker wrote:
> Joerg Bruehe:
>> 2) The hack: use the "setuid" bit.
>
> That doesn't work for pm-suspend. On my system, it's a symlink pointing
> to /usr/lib/pm-utils/bin/pm-action which is a shell script. The kernel
> ignores the SUID for scripts.

It definitely does ignore them.

Sorry, I didn't check "pm-suspend", so I stand corrected.

The setuid bit approach could still be used by writing a tiny C program
that does nothing but execute the script, having it owned by root, and
using the setuid bit for it - but this is a road which not everybody
will use.

Regards,
Joerg

--
Joerg Bruehe  - persoenliche Aeusserung / speaking only for himself
mailto:joerg.bruehe@web.de