[ltp] confused about power managment with T520 with Debian with no DE

Mon, 6 Feb 2012 04:54:48 +0200

--mojUlQ0s9EVzWg2t

On Sat, Feb 04, 2012 at 12:17:33PM -0800, keitho@strucktower.com wrote:
> OK, so thanks to Paul I found out that I can use pm-suspend to put my T520
> to sleep from the command line as root. And after doing so I can resume
> from sleep with the Fn-F3 button.
>=20
> pm-suspend says only root can invoke it. How to make it so I can do it
> with my regular login?

You could use GNOME, you know ;)

Sudo or Fn-F3 (once you set it up) are alternative answers.  As is KDE.

> In addition, it would be much easier if I could invoke it with the Fn-F3
> button. This used to work under Gnome. In fact, since I moved away from
> Gnome the laptop no longer goes into sleep mode when I close the lid.
>=20
> Can someone teach me how to enable the Fn-F3 button to invoke sleep, and
> how to configure the system so that closing the lid puts the laptop to
> sleep?

Install acpid.  I think the default configuration should make everything
you want work (suspend on Fn-F3 and lid events), but if not, read the
documentation and tweak the files under /etc/acpi/.

Marius Gedminas
--=20
If it weren't for the last minute, nothing would ever get done.

--mojUlQ0s9EVzWg2t

--mojUlQ0s9EVzWg2t--