[ltp] Resolved- confused about power managment with T520 with Debian with no DE

Joerg Bruehe linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 06 Feb 2012 17:10:59 +0100

Keith,

thanks for describing the final outcome!

keitho@strucktower.com wrote:
> [[...]]
>
> Second, write script placed into /etc/acpi/:
>
> $cat /etc/acpi/lidclose.sh
> echo "echoing from inside script lidclose.sh"
> touch /etc/acpi/tested.ok
> pm-suspend
>
> The first two lines are for testing the script and are later removed.
> Turns out that the echo line doesn't work.

I'd guess that standard output is not defined when that script is run.
So it might be worth to set a file for that, like:
   echo "echoing from inside script lidclose.sh" >> /tmp/lidclose.log

> [[...]]
>
> Also thanks to Joerg Bruehe for the brief explanation of the setuid bit.. .
> I have always been a little confused about how to use that. Good to know
> even if it doesn't work with symlinks like pm-suspend (as confirmed by
> Jochen Spieker.

The symlink is not the issue, you could always set it on the target.

What is critical here is that you would need it on a shell script, and
that doesn't work. (Thanks to Jochen for checking the file type!)

Kind regards,
Joerg

--
Joerg Bruehe  - persoenliche Aeusserung / speaking only for himself
mailto:joerg.bruehe@web.de