[ltp] Debian Wheezy w/XFCE screen brightness step value

Nate Bargmann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 20 Feb 2012 18:49:46 -0600

I put a fresh installation of Debian Wheezy (Testing) on my T60 a couple
of weeks ago (long story) using XFCE desktop as the setup.  I've noted,
with some annoyance, that when I change the screen brightness with the
Fn-Home/End keys that occasionally a graphical brightness icon appears
and when it does, the screen is dimmed or brightened in multiple steps.
The T60 has eight brightness levels and when this icon appears it cuts
it to about 4 levels.

Looking at /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/actual_brightness confirms
that the step will drop from 7 to 4 to 1 to 0 and then increase from 0
to 3 to 6 to 7.  I would like some pointers on what tool/package is
generating the OSD icon and how I can kill it or tell it to use a step
size of 1.  Oddly, I've had times when the OSD does not appear and I get
1 step per up/down key event.

- Nate >>