[ltp] Best laptop for Linux

Nate Bargmann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 2 Jan 2012 18:41:40 -0600

* On 2012 02 Jan 15:05 -0600, Phil Shotton wrote:
> ...the T60p has the Atheros wifi chipset which is a pain,

Does the T60P have a different chipset than the T60?  I ask because I've
not used the MadWifi proprietary drivers in *years* on various Thinkpads
with Atheros chipsets.  That includes T41, T42, and T60, along with a
Atheros based Linksys card I bought years ago for the T23.  The ath5k
module has worked without complaint for me.  I would not shy away from
Atheros, in fact, I would prefer it.

I have found issues with Network Manager that were solved by going to
WiCD instead.

- Nate >>