[ltp] Periodic freeze

John Magolske linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 2 Jul 2012 23:10:47 -0700

Hi,

* Bert Haskins <bhaskins@chartermi.net> [120702 22:15]:
> Playing field:
> At least the last four Ubuntu releases and derived distros.
> R52, R60, A31 Thinkpads
> Firefox browser.

I'm on an X200s, running Debian Sid.

> Problem:
> Total loss of response to keyboard or mouse for periods
> of one or more, even as high as eight seconds.
> Often the screen will go to a grey overcast.

I use primarily a text-mode interface, so can't speak to the mouse,
but I do see regular 1-3 second "freezes" of the display when typing
or issuing commands in the shell...all of a sudden I'll find myself
"blind-typing" for 3 seconds or so before a backlog of characters
burst onto the screen.

I wrote to this list a while back regarding the problem [1], and more
recently to debian-users [2], but can find no solution. One clue: the
behavior rarely shows up while plugged into AC -- I primarily see
these freezes while running on battery.

> It's very hard to do text entry this way.

IMO, the way this interrupts flow makes for a barely usable computer.

[1] http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/pipermail/linux-thinkpad/2011-August/050122.html
[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2012/05/msg02372.html

John

--