[ltp] Periodic freeze

Adrian Bastholm linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 3 Jul 2012 09:40:21 +0200

--485b397dd687e5750504c3e806f3

I've been having full freezes lately, some depending on module evdev being
unloaded (check the Xorg log). There was also some NVRM concurrency related
messages when CPU spiked, but those were solved by the latest Nvidia driver
release. I also got some freezes with nouveau driver. There seems to be
some issue with more recent versions of xorg core
/adrian

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 8:10 AM, John Magolske <listmail@b79.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> * Bert Haskins <bhaskins@chartermi.net> [120702 22:15]:
> > Playing field:
> > At least the last four Ubuntu releases and derived distros.
> > R52, R60, A31 Thinkpads
> > Firefox browser.
>
> I'm on an X200s, running Debian Sid.
>
> > Problem:
> > Total loss of response to keyboard or mouse for periods
> > of one or more, even as high as eight seconds.
> > Often the screen will go to a grey overcast.
>
> I use primarily a text-mode interface, so can't speak to the mouse,
> but I do see regular 1-3 second "freezes" of the display when typing
> or issuing commands in the shell...all of a sudden I'll find myself
> "blind-typing" for 3 seconds or so before a backlog of characters
> burst onto the screen.
>
> I wrote to this list a while back regarding the problem [1], and more
> recently to debian-users [2], but can find no solution. One clue: the
> behavior rarely shows up while plugged into AC -- I primarily see
> these freezes while running on battery.
>
> > It's very hard to do text entry this way.
>
> IMO, the way this interrupts flow makes for a barely usable computer.
>
> [1]
> http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/pipermail/linux-thinkpad/2011-August/05=
0122.html
> [2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2012/05/msg02372.html
>
> John
>
> --
> John Magolske
> http://B79.net/contact
> --

--=20
V=E4nliga h=E4lsningar / Kind regards,
Adrian Bastholm

I would change the world, but they won't give me the sourcecode

--485b397dd687e5750504c3e806f3

I&#39;ve been having full freezes lately, some depending on module evdev be=
ing unloaded (check the Xorg log). There was also some NVRM concurrency rel=
ated messages when CPU spiked, but those were solved by the latest Nvidia d=
river release. I also got some freezes with nouveau driver. There seems to =
be some issue with more recent versions of xorg core<div>
AM, John Magolske <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:listmail@b79.net"=
ass=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;p=
adding-left:1ex">
Hi,<br>
* Bert Haskins &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:bhaskins@chartermi.net">bhaskins@chart=
ermi.net</a>&gt; [120702 22:15]:<br>
&gt; At least the last four Ubuntu releases and derived distros.<br>
&gt; R52, R60, A31 Thinkpads<br>
&gt; Firefox browser.<br>
&gt; Problem:<br>
&gt; Total loss of response to keyboard or mouse for periods<br>
&gt; of one or more, even as high as eight seconds.<br>
&gt; Often the screen will go to a grey overcast.<br>
e,<br>
but I do see regular 1-3 second &quot;freezes&quot; of the display when typ=
ing<br>
or issuing commands in the shell...all of a sudden I&#39;ll find myself<br>
&quot;blind-typing&quot; for 3 seconds or so before a backlog of characters=
burst onto the screen.<br>
I wrote to this list a while back regarding the problem [1], and more<br>
recently to debian-users [2], but can find no solution. One clue: the<br>
behavior rarely shows up while plugged into AC -- I primarily see<br>
these freezes while running on battery.<br>
&gt; It&#39;s very hard to do text entry this way.<br>
[1] <a href=3D"http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/pipermail/linux-thinkpad/2=
011-August/050122.html" target=3D"_blank">http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org=
/pipermail/linux-thinkpad/2011-August/050122.html</a><br>
[2] <a href=3D"http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2012/05/msg02372.html" t=
arget=3D"_blank">http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2012/05/msg02372.html<=
/a><br>
John<br>
--<br>
John Magolske<br>
</a><br>
The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:<br>