[ltp] Periodic freeze

John Magolske linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 3 Jul 2012 10:46:34 -0700

* Adrian Bastholm <adrian@javaguru.org> [120703 07:18]:
> I've been having full freezes lately, some depending on module
> evdev being unloaded (check the Xorg log).

Not sure I follow...do you mean to say that unloading evdev will cause
the freezing to stop?

> There was also some NVRM concurrency related messages when CPU
> spiked, but those were solved by the latest Nvidia driver release.
> I also got some freezes with nouveau driver. There seems to be some
> issue with more recent versions of xorg core

I just did an `aptitude upgrade` & rebooted my machine into a
framebuffer console, have yet to start up X. I'm now typing away in
Vim & using Mutt, and am seeing the same infernal freezing behaviour.
Could Xorg be responsible for these problems, even though X is not
running? The Nvidia & nouveau drivers don't apply in my case:

% lspci | grep Graphics
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)

Also, after an `aptitude upgrade` last week I've begun to hear
periodic ~500ms gaps in audio while listening to music. In the past
I've *never* heard the audio skip. Not sure if this is related to the
display freeze-ups...who knows.

Again, my past postings on this issue:

http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/pipermail/linux-thinkpad/2011-August/050122.html

Regards,