[ltp] T60p idle GPU temperature?

Mon, 09 Jul 2012 12:03:37 +0100

>> It's annoying how badly the heatsink works: the GPU can hit 80+
>> while (if the CPU is idle), the fan emits only slightly warm air.
>
> Yeah, it is crap.  But it is crap for some reasons, not all of them stupid.
>
> The T60 doesn't have a rollcage in the bottom.  You need to be really
> careful of flexing the planar when you attach the GPU directly to the
> heatsink.

Thanks for the tip. Is this really a significant risk? I ask because
firstly the machine is built like a tank, but also the heatsink applies
pressure directly to planar via the CPU. Given that, I wouldn't have
thought there's much to be gained by letting the GPU/heatsink joint flex
slightly (especially as the northbridge/heatsink joint has only a very
thin thermal pad).

Thanks - Richard