[ltp] T series vs. U-series price question

Jesse Sheidlower linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 18 Jul 2012 10:29:03 -0400

I'm in the market for a new Thinkpad, with relatively straightforward
requirements: 13" or 14" screen, as thin and light as possible, fast
enough to run relatively nondemanding tasks in a Windows VM on
VirtualBox, and with a TrackPoint.

I figured the T series (probably the T430S) would be the way to go--I
still have a T60 that I use for basic tasks, and it's a great
machine--but I'm a little struck by the feature difference between these
models and the Ultrabook series. For about the same price, the U series
machines seem to have a faster processor, better graphics, twice the
memory, and a dual SSD/HD setup (with a larger HD than on the T series
machines, albeit at 5400 instead of 7200), and are thinner and lighter
and have better battery life. I don't need and thus don't want an
optical drive. If it weren't for the lack of TrackPoint, it would be a
no-brainer, but this is pretty cricial for me.

Is there something I'm missing here, or is there some new line coming
out soon that will bring some of the thin-and-light goodness to the T
series machines? I'd be tempted by the X230 (I currently use an X201 as
my main travel machine, and I love it), but I sort of need more screen
real estate than 12.5".

Thanks. I'd be running Debian, if it matters.

Jesse Sheidlower