[ltp] Re: Periodic freeze

Bert Haskins linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 19 Jul 2012 18:38:45 -0400

On 07/19/2012 05:46 PM, John Magolske wrote:
> * John Magolske<listmail@b79.net>  [120706 03:18]:
>> Anyone have suggestions for a Debian compatible, laptop-optimized
>> kernel? I'm thinking of giving liquorix a try next:
>>
>>      http://liquorix.net/
> After installing the liquorix kernel (optimized for the desktop and
> touted as providing snappier performance) I'm still experiencing these
> multi-second freezes. Even tried launching vim&  mpd like so:
>
>      schedtool -R -p1 -n -19 -e vim
>      ionice -c1 schedtool -R -p1 -n -19 -e mpd
>
>   ... setting CPU priority, process priority and IO priority in favour
> of Vim and mpd. Things may be a bit better in Vim...hard to tell as
> this freezing fluctuates somewhat unpredictably. Definitely still
> seeing the text-cursor hanging up now&  again for seconds at a time,
> then jumping ahead leaving a burst of pent-up characters in its wake.
>
> And the sound issue...still hearing the ~500ms dropout occasionally,
> maybe once every half hour, then sometimes there'll be a sequence of
> dropouts happening every couple minutes or so. As mentioned in my
> Debian on this laptop a couple years ago, and there was NEVER such a
> problem until very recently.
>
> Any suggestions regarding tools or techniques to use in investigating
> the root cause(s)? This is on a very lightly loaded machine, no cpu or
> disk intensive activities going on whatsoever.
>
> John

I'm still fighting this also but I might have found one clue.
I was testing a linux FPS game when I noticed that my ( player )
operations would freeze for as much a six seconds while the
opponent was not affected.
I then changed the configuration so that the mouse had control
and the pause not noticeable.
So this is starting to look like a kernel problem, one that somehow
holds up the reading of the keyboard buffer.

Does anyone know what "init" is? as seen in the top screen.