[ltp] Re: Periodic freeze

John Magolske linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 19 Jul 2012 14:46:15 -0700

* John Magolske <listmail@b79.net> [120706 03:18]:
> Anyone have suggestions for a Debian compatible, laptop-optimized
> kernel? I'm thinking of giving liquorix a try next:
>
>     http://liquorix.net/

After installing the liquorix kernel (optimized for the desktop and
touted as providing snappier performance) I'm still experiencing these
multi-second freezes. Even tried launching vim & mpd like so:

    schedtool -R -p1 -n -19 -e vim
    ionice -c1 schedtool -R -p1 -n -19 -e mpd

... setting CPU priority, process priority and IO priority in favour
of Vim and mpd. Things may be a bit better in Vim...hard to tell as
this freezing fluctuates somewhat unpredictably. Definitely still
seeing the text-cursor hanging up now & again for seconds at a time,
then jumping ahead leaving a burst of pent-up characters in its wake.

And the sound issue...still hearing the ~500ms dropout occasionally,
maybe once every half hour, then sometimes there'll be a sequence of
dropouts happening every couple minutes or so. As mentioned in my
Debian on this laptop a couple years ago, and there was NEVER such a
problem until very recently.

Any suggestions regarding tools or techniques to use in investigating
the root cause(s)? This is on a very lightly loaded machine, no cpu or
disk intensive activities going on whatsoever.

John

--
John Magolske
http://B79.net/contact