[ltp] X40 upgrade notes (SSD, Ubuntu Precise)

Sun, 17 Jun 2012 11:09:58 -0300

On Sun, 17 Jun 2012, Helmut Hullen wrote:
> > 2. I purchased a PATA 1.8" SSD made by "Kingfast". The Ubuntu
> > installer sees this fine, but, having installed it, the BIOS can't
> > boot from it, saying "No operating system found".
>
> > Solution (rather oddly): remove the jumper cap on the drive, so that,
> > rather than being in "IDE master" mode, it's in "cable select" mode.
>
> That works on my T2x, with the special problem that when using the same
> SSD via Ultrabay it needs the jumper.
>
> That doesn't work on my T43.
>
> The T43 needs the "master" jumper for recognizing the SSD, see (p.e.)
> Setup/Startup/Boot

Meh.  SSDs must have screwed up cable-select as it is not that common in
generic hardware (and you're slightly better off with one-HDD-per-PATA-cable
and jumpered as master, anyway).

> But it doesn't boot from SSD - I've just tried it once more.

Yeah, older BIOSes often have issues with newer ATA standards.

  Henrique Holschuh