[ltp] Unsolicited requests for shut down

Ricardo Reis linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 16 May 2012 14:42:52 +0100 (WEST)

On Wed, 16 May 2012, Athanasios Velios wrote:

> I had Psensor installed for a while and the temperature readings did not =
> to make sense. For example, as soon as I turned on the computer and the=
> temperature was still low, I would start compressing files and the Shut D=
> request would come up. By cancelling and carrying on, the temperature wou=
> increase but no other request would come up. I do not think that the=20
> temperature ever went over 60 degrees C anyway and the cooling fan seems =
> be working as expected. Plus the motherboard has been replaced on this la=
> for a different reason and the problem is there with both old and new.
> Would any of the logs record the shutdown request, so that I can trace it=
> back?

/var/log/syslog  should have the request although it might not help.=20
Notice that the overheat can still be the motive albeit the laptop is not=
overheating... but the sensors (or something else) are giving misreadings.

  Ricardo Reis

  'Non Serviam'

  PhD/MSc Mechanical Engineering | Lic. Aerospace Engineering

  Computational Fluid Dynamics, High Performance Computing, Turbulence

  Cultural Instigator @ R=E1dio Zero

  contacts:  gtalk: kyriusan@gmail.com  skype: kyriusan

  Institutional Address:

  Ricardo J.N. dos Reis
  IDMEC, Instituto Superior T=E9cnico, Technical University of Lisbon
  Av. Rovisco Pais
  1049-001 Lisboa

                       - email sent with alpine 2.00 -