Re[ltp] placing the Ericsson 3G modem in an X301 with a Sierra Wireless LTE modem

Bjørn Mork linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 31 May 2012 09:04:00 +0200

Elvair <elvair@gmail.com> writes:

> Actually the question about software was referring to Windows 7 ?

Ah, right.  So Access Connections is the popup utility allowing you to
turn off/on radios?  If so, then it should work.  I still have software
control over the wwan radio using the same application interface as
before replacing it (Linux rfkill). One nice thing about the Sierra card
is that it can be configured how to react on that signal.  By default it
will shut down, but you can configure it to go into "flight mode"
instead.  I.e. turn off all radios, but keep the USB connection and user
interface up.

> What kind of software/drivers do you use to make it work ? :)

I use the drivers included with Linux 3.4, and libqmi-glib and dhclient
to make it work.

> My card has finally arrived, so I started to experiemtn with it, at first=
> just plugged in into the top slot, the next next to HALF-mini-PCI, and the
> system just does not see it at all, is this normal ?

You may have to go into the BIOS setup, make a note of all changed
settings, load default settings, and then change any modified setting
back.

There is some setting in the NVRAM and/or BIOS which tells the machine
that it has a 3G card installed, and if you didn't have one before then
this setting is disabled.  And AFAIK there is no way to set it
manually.  But resetting to defaults should make the BIOS setup program
figure it out.

> I guess im gonna have to try to plug it into another slot then

Try the BIOS thing first.  Could in theory be required signals missing
in that slot (wwan card use USB while wlan card use PCIe, so this slot
does not really have to have USB connected).  But I don't find that
likely.  Have seen many guides telling people to switch cards between
the two slots to fool the whitelisting logic.

Bjørn