[ltp] X1 Carbon: Linux freezes randomly, Win7 no problem.

Bjørn Mork linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 08 Nov 2012 08:44:08 +0100

Sandro <redsandro@gmail.com> writes:

> This brand new Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon came with Windows 7 preinstalled.
>
> For dual booting purposes I installed Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, and while
> configuring the system, I noticed it totally freezes at random, sometimes
> after 15 minutes, sometimes after an hour.
>
> By totally, I mean the screen freezes, the hard drive indicator doesn't
> flicker anymore, magic keys such as Ctrl+Alt+F2 don't work, and System
> Requests like SysRq+B(oot) do nothing.

I assume you are stuck in X here?

> I can find nothing suspicious in the logs, but I have to admit that I am
> not sure what I am looking for.
>
> All this, but in Windows 7 there is no problem. I am typing this from
> Windows because Ubuntu crashes too much. This leads me to believe this is
> probably a bug triggered by a certain hardware thingie, but I am never
> going to find out what it is, am I?

The theory that this is related som some hardware, and most likely a
driver bug, sounds feasible.  But finding out what it is is not
impossible, only difficult :-)

If you can reproduce this in console and/or with netconsole attached
then i believe that would be a start.  There may be a useful crash dump
there which is hidden by X.

Setting up netconsole temporarily is not so difficult if you have
another PC you can connect to via ethernet.  See
http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/networking/netconsole.txt

Bjørn