[ltp] X1 Carbon: Linux freezes randomly, Win7 no problem.

Markus Schulz linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 8 Nov 2012 11:13:06 +0100

Am Thursday, 8. November 2012 schrieb Sandro:
> This brand new Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon came with Windows 7
> preinstalled.
>
> For dual booting purposes I installed Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, and while
> configuring the system, I noticed it totally freezes at random,
> sometimes after 15 minutes, sometimes after an hour.
>
> By totally, I mean the screen freezes, the hard drive indicator
> doesn't flicker anymore, magic keys such as Ctrl+Alt+F2 don't work,
> and System Requests like SysRq+B(oot) do nothing.
>
> I can find nothing suspicious in the logs, but I have to admit that I
> am not sure what I am looking for.

same problem here with debian wheezy/3.2.0 kernel.
i found a machine check exception in the log.

i solved this with a custom made 3.6.2 kernel, now the carbon runs rock
solid...
except the too sensitive touchpad behaviour (http://mailman.linux-
thinkpad.org/pipermail/linux-thinkpad/2012-October/051067.html)

regards
msc