[ltp] CPUs that can work in a T61

Stefan Monnier linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 19 Nov 2012 11:10:50 -0500

I'm wondering if there's a chance a Q9000 could be made to work in
a T61.  IIUC it has the right socket P interface, but it doesn't assume
the right FSB frequency (1066MHz vs the 800Mhz used in the T61), but
that should only mean that it gets run at 7.5x200MHz=1.5GHz rather than
7.5x266MHz=2GHz.

Is that correct?

Also, if that's the case, then is there a change the "pinmod" that lets
the chipset provide 266MHz to the CPU would let the CPU run at 2GHz?

Of course, the 45W power envelope would be a problem in any case, but
there's no reason to worry about it until I know that the bugger would
even run.

        Stefan