[ltp] CPUs that can work in a T61

Dmitry E. Mikhailov linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 20 Nov 2012 01:30:06 +0600

On Mon, 2012-11-19 at 11:10 -0500, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> I'm wondering if there's a chance a Q9000 could be made to work in
> a T61.  IIUC it has the right socket P interface, but it doesn't assume
> the right FSB frequency (1066MHz vs the 800Mhz used in the T61), but
> that should only mean that it gets run at 7.5x200MHz=1.5GHz rather than
> 7.5x266MHz=2GHz.
>
> Is that correct?
>
> Also, if that's the case, then is there a change the "pinmod" that lets
> the chipset provide 266MHz to the CPU would let the CPU run at 2GHz?
>
> Of course, the 45W power envelope would be a problem in any case, but
> there's no reason to worry about it until I know that the bugger would
> even run.
>

>         Stefan
Some fifteen minutes of googling gives a strictly negative result.
You can stick it onto some W500, but that's a bit newer machine. People
would run quad's on T6* series already if it's possible. Of course that
info would leak to google already.

45W of power wouldn't be a problem if you'd take a T61p heat spreader +
fan - NVIDIA GPU would add much more then ten watts so the cooling
system is designed for that.

But once again - no, you wouldn't run that.

Get a decent SSD for the buck - it's much much better. Or push 8GB of
DDR-2 - it's possible (but not cheap).

Best regards,
	Dmitry Mikhailov