[ltp] CPUs that can work in a T61

Paul Seelig linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 20 Nov 2012 20:51:09 +0100

On 11/19/2012 09:04 PM, rappard@dds.nl wrote:
> Apologies for the semi-thread hijack: are you implying that it's
> possible to stick 8 GB in a T6*? I thought 4 GB was the max.

Indeed, i am typing these lines one a T61 equipped with exactly that
amount of RAM. The Santa Rosa chipset of the T61 supports up to 2x4=8GB
of RAM, but the T60's chipset still doesn't.

> [Obviously I would need to upgrade my T60 from XP to a 64-bit OS then,
> but that would be the next step.]

The T60 is a whole different beast! While you can stick in 2x2=4GB of
RAM into these machines, its chipset only supports and can make
available 3GB. This is a hardcoded limit with no known workaround.

See http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Unofficial_maximum_memory_specs for
some extensive information in that matter.

A T61 mainboard can be rather easily refitted (with some minor
modifications of the rollcage) into a 4:3 T60 body (both 14.1" and 15"),
in order to take advantage of the T61 Santa Rosa chipset features
without losing the T60 form factor advantages.

See http://thinkwiki.de/Frankenpad if you can read German.

Yours truly has BTW a very nice 15" T60 with Flexview UXGA display
containing a T61 mainboard with 2x4GB of RAM and a T9500 Penryn CPU.

Never would want to upgrade to anything more modern. ;)

Regards,
Paul