[ltp] New 6-row keyboard scaring me off

Sat, 27 Oct 2012 16:03:33 +0300

--uZ3hkaAS1mZxFaxD

On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 10:33:38AM +0200, rappard@dds.nl wrote:
> On 25 October 2012 09:09, David Griffith <dgriffi@cs.csubak.edu> wrote:
> >
> > Is anyone else annoyed at Lenovo for discontinuing the standard 7-row
> > keyboard?  I've been looking at getting a new laptop and after what I've
> > seen from Lenovo and their attitude towards users about this, I'm think=
ing
> > of jumping ship.  Here's an example of what I'm talking about:
> > http://blog.lenovo.com/products/why-you-should-give-in-to-the-new-think=
pad-keyboard

> I'm with you on this one. Their reasoning is clear but this should
> have been a case of "if ain't broke don't fix it" - I've never heard
> anyone complain about the original ThinkPad keyboards.

/me raises hand cautiously

I was never very happy about the position of Esc and F1 on the original
keyboard.  It caused me to get :help on Vim almost every time I wanted
to press Esc, for weeks, until I created a mapping to turn F1 off.

Also, I was never happy about the original position of Fn and Ctrl.
There's a reason they gave in and added a BIOS option to swap them in
the end.  (And no, I never used that option -- I got used to the
original weird order over the many years of ThinkPad use.)

> <rant> And why is everyone adopting chiclet-style keyboards nowadays?
> Not everything Apple does should be copied mindlessly, you twats.
> </rant>

Marius Gedminas
--=20
We've found by experience that people who are careless and sloppy writers a=
re
usually also careless and sloppy thinkers (often enough to bet on, anyway).
	-- ESR (http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html)

--uZ3hkaAS1mZxFaxD

--uZ3hkaAS1mZxFaxD--