[ltp] tp-fancontrol does not work with kernel 3.3.8 on X200

Thomas Breitner linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 26 Sep 2012 21:42:58 +0200

Am Mittwoch, den 26.09.2012, 00:56 +0900 schrieb Hisashi Shiota:
> Hi,
>
> I fetched tp-fancontrol script from the following ThinkWiki page,
>
>   http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_control_fan_speed
>
> However it does not work with kernel 3.3.8 on my X200.
> tp-fancontrol shows an error message as follows;
>
> 4252 (process ID) old priority 0, new priority -10
> > Activating watchdog with delay 9 sec
> > Starting dynamic fan control
>  ./tp-fancontrol_org: line 242: /proc/acpi/ibm/ecdump: No such file or directory
> > Shutting down, switching to automatic fan control
>
> After some investigation, I found the EC dump interface was removed from
> thinkpad_acpi two years ago.
>
>   https://lkml.org/lkml/2010/7/1/206
>
> I invalidate some code accessing EC in tp-fancontrol, because I suppose EC is
> accessed only to decrease fan noise. And my revised code seems to work somehow.
> But I am not sure if my workaround is good or not.
> So if you have better idea than mine or know another solution, any comment are
> welcome for me.

why not give thinkfan[1][2] a try - works flawlessly on my T420s with
kernels from 3.0 to 3.5, is packaged for debian[2] and works by reading
thinkpad-acpi or sysfs for thermal sensor values.

thomas

[1] http://thinkfan.sourceforge.net/
[2] http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/thinkfan