[ltp] SSD for X200 Tablet

Sergi Pons Freixes linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 25 Aug 2013 17:53:27 +0200

--047d7b15b0e7f4938e04e4c7a363

Any advice about which brands/makers are good ones, and which to avoid?

2013/8/25 Marius Gedminas <marius@gedmin.as>

> On Sat, Aug 24, 2013 at 10:42:15AM +0200, Maciej Musial wrote:
> > Could you please share some tests results?
> > For example how much time take system to boot now and how long it took
> with
> > traditional HDD?
>
> Good thing I keep a diary.
>
> On the T61, back in October 2010 (which means I was running Ubuntu 10.10
> aka maverick): full boot until desktop, including typing in my password
> and waiting for GNOME session, was 27 seconds with the SSD.
>
> I don't have numbers recorded with the 5400 rpm HDD, but it was
> something like 1 minute and 30 seconds or more.
>
> This is a development laptop, so it probably had stuff like PostgreSQL
> and Apache installed, slowing down the startup somewhat.
>
> Now, on the X220, boot was 8-10 seconds until LightDM prompt.  This
> includes BIOS POST and GRUB time.  Unfortunately, GNOME login takes
> longer than boot (maybe 15-20 more seconds).
>
> And then I switched to Ubuntu GNOME, which uses GDM, which takes
> disappointingly much longer to show the login screen.  My guess is that
> the entire login process takes the same 30 seconds.
>
> I just installed bootchart and rebooted: http://i.imgur.com/F5CKltQ.png
> The login screen shows up after 11 seconds, and full desktop after maybe
> 18 seconds.  This doesn't include BIOS POST/GRUB time, which easily adds
> another 5-8 seconds.
>
> Marius Gedminas
> --
> We are geeks. Resistance is voltage over current.
>         -- Greg Goss

--047d7b15b0e7f4938e04e4c7a363

il_quote">2013/8/25 Marius Gedminas <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto=
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div class=3D"im">On Sat, Aug 24, 2013 at 10=
:42:15AM +0200, Maciej Musial wrote:<br>
&gt; Could you please share some tests results?<br>
&gt; For example how much time take system to boot now and how long it took=
 with<br>
&gt; traditional HDD?<br>
On the T61, back in October 2010 (which means I was running Ubuntu 10.10<br=

aka maverick): full boot until desktop, including typing in my password<br>
and waiting for GNOME session, was 27 seconds with the SSD.<br>
I don&#39;t have numbers recorded with the 5400 rpm HDD, but it was<br>
something like 1 minute and 30 seconds or more.<br>
This is a development laptop, so it probably had stuff like PostgreSQL<br>
and Apache installed, slowing down the startup somewhat.<br>
Now, on the X220, boot was 8-10 seconds until LightDM prompt. =A0This<br>
includes BIOS POST and GRUB time. =A0Unfortunately, GNOME login takes<br>
longer than boot (maybe 15-20 more seconds).<br>
And then I switched to Ubuntu GNOME, which uses GDM, which takes<br>
disappointingly much longer to show the login screen. =A0My guess is that<b=
r>
the entire login process takes the same 30 seconds.<br>
I just installed bootchart and rebooted: <a href=3D"http://i.imgur.com/F5CK=
ltQ.png" target=3D"_blank">http://i.imgur.com/F5CKltQ.png</a><br>
The login screen shows up after 11 seconds, and full desktop after maybe<br=

18 seconds. =A0This doesn&#39;t include BIOS POST/GRUB time, which easily a=
dds<br>
another 5-8 seconds.<br>
Marius Gedminas<br>
--<br>
We are geeks. Resistance is voltage over current.<br>
=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 -- Greg Goss<br>

--047d7b15b0e7f4938e04e4c7a363--