[ltp] T61 LED backlight mod

Bert Haskins linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 23 Dec 2013 14:46:35 -0500

On 12/23/2013 10:47 AM, green wrote:
> Bert Haskins wrote at 2013-12-20 11:33 -0600:
>> On 12/20/2013 09:23 AM, green wrote:
>>> ThinkPad T61, 14.1 inch, SXGA+, with a very dim backlight.  It is
>>> nearly impossible to use in sunlight, and becoming more difficult to
>>> use even in low-light indoor settings.
>>>
>>> I am considering this product (same product from 2 vendors?):
>>> http://www.iccfl.com/product_info.php?products_id=5618
>>> http://www.xccfl.com/product_info.php?products_id=4727
>> I had not noticed this, thanks for bringing it up.
>> This is so interesting to me that I may buy a t61 or another r61
>> just to try it.
>> I have a r61 which is slowly going dim but I would have to to try this on
>> a more expendable one first.
>> I have replaced a few ccfl tubes in the past and it is not something that
>> I would really want to do again because it's just do difficult.
>> So I too would like to hear your questions answered.
> I have also considered replacing the CCFL instead, but maybe this is
> more difficult than the LED mod, based on your experience?
Imagine a #2 pencil lead that is inside of a long thin sheet metal "U"
that is tightly pressed into a
piece of plastic.
The trick is to get the piece of sheet metal out and back in without
deforming it in any way.
I would guess that installing the led is actually a little easier than
the ccfl but it looks like
a very tough job.
I would also think that the rotational alignment of the leds would be a
factor where it's
of no concern with ccfls.
After all of this I must say that I've have a watch out on the big
crapshoot place for a suitable
T61 R61 candidate.
Any suggestions for an even better choice would be appreciated.