[ltp] T61 LED backlight mod

green linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 23 Dec 2013 22:51:37 -0600

--tmoQ0UElFV5VgXgH

Bert Haskins wrote at 2013-12-23 13:46 -0600:
> On 12/23/2013 10:47 AM, green wrote:
> >I have also considered replacing the CCFL instead, but maybe this is
> >more difficult than the LED mod, based on your experience?
>
> Imagine a #2 pencil lead that is inside of a long thin sheet metal
> "U" that is tightly pressed into a
> piece of plastic.
> The trick is to get the piece of sheet metal out and back in without
> deforming it in any way.
> I would guess that installing the led is actually a little easier
> than the ccfl but it looks like
> a very tough job.
> I would also think that the rotational alignment of the leds would
> be a factor where it's
> of no concern with ccfls.

Wow.  Maybe I will just squint at my display for a while longer.

> After all of this I must say that I've have a watch out on the big
> crapshoot place for a suitable
> T61 R61 candidate.
> Any suggestions for an even better choice would be appreciated.

In my opinion, the T61 is the only decent laptop available, primarily
because of the decent SXGA+ display in a reasonably portable form
factor.  Also because it retains some of the ThinkPad build quality
and runs Linux well.

--tmoQ0UElFV5VgXgH

--tmoQ0UElFV5VgXgH--