[ltp] ACPI dead hotkey BIOS issue - report? ignore? document?

Ethan Schoonover linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 4 Jan 2013 13:52:25 -0800

--bcaec50409181bad7c04d27d81f2

Running Arch+Xmonad, no DE, on an x220 tablet model. I just changed a
couple BIOS settings, rebooted and noted that *all* multimedia keys were
dead dead dead. ACPI reported battery data but all acpi events as reported
by `acpi_listen` were gone and so my acpi handler scripts and xmonad
mutlimedia key bindings were useless. BIOS direct keys like wifi soft kill
and LCD brightness were also dead.

First suspect was the fn-ctrl swap BIOS setting I'd changed. Nope. After
reverting one by one, it turned out to be the apparently unrelated "usb
always on" (keeps usb power on during suspend) setting. When that setting
is *off* (i.e. BIOS set to not provide USB charge power during suspend) in
my x220's bios (BIOS Revision: 1.36) it kills acpi related hotkeys,
apparently.

I'm wondering what I should do with this information. I'm not sure it's an
ACPI bug, a BIOS bug, something worth documenting (outside of submitting
here), etc. It's "fixed" for me but was one of the weirdest acpi problems
I've encountered.

-Ethan

http://ethanschoonover.com/solarized

--bcaec50409181bad7c04d27d81f2

t changed a couple BIOS settings, rebooted and noted that *all* multimedia =
keys were dead dead dead. ACPI reported battery data but all acpi events as=
 reported by `acpi_listen` were gone and so my acpi handler scripts and xmo=
nad mutlimedia key bindings were useless. BIOS direct keys like wifi soft k=
ill and LCD brightness were also dead.<div>

d changed. Nope. After reverting one by one, it turned out to be the appare=
ntly unrelated &quot;usb always on&quot; (keeps usb power on during suspend=
) setting. When that setting is *off* (i.e. BIOS set to not provide USB cha=
rge power during suspend) in my x220&#39;s bios (BIOS Revision: 1.36) it ki=
lls acpi related hotkeys, apparently.</div>

s information. I&#39;m not sure it&#39;s an ACPI bug, a BIOS bug, something=
 worth documenting (outside of submitting here), etc. It&#39;s &quot;fixed&=
quot; for me but was one of the weirdest acpi problems I&#39;ve encountered=
.</div>

--bcaec50409181bad7c04d27d81f2--