[ltp] Google Groups

Tue, 8 Jan 2013 10:54:25 +0100

>> This type of mailing list is kind of annoying with it's ascii
>> representation of accidental html and has a '90s feel.
>> I would strongly recommend migrating to google groups. Anyone who worked
>> with it would probably agree.
>>
>> You can use it as a mailing list, and at the same time as sort of a
>> 'forum'. It's pretty (and supports that technology Berners-Lee at CERN
>> invented in 1989 called HTML). :P
>
> HTML in mails is a pain. Google groups are a pain. ASCII is <3

+1. Until two years ago I used to read my mail with a text-only
reader, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Also, if an opinion/thought
can only be properly expressed in HTML it's probably as useful as a
1998 GeoCities page. ;-)

> With all my hats on: I like the 90ies and woould not join any Google
> groups (yes, I tried, hard).

I actually prefer the clunky Yahoo Groups (I administer several
groups) over Google Groups, and that's saying something. Google
certainly does NOT have the Midas touch (he said, while composing his
email in Gmail ;-)).

--Martin