[ltp] Re: Google Group

Philipp Kern linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 18 Jan 2013 20:35:18 +0100

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 03:52:08PM +0000, Phil Shotton wrote:
[... users that use Outlook ...]
> the only mailing lists they struggle with are the ones that
> insist on bottom posting. Most mailing lists allow (and even
> encourage) top posting, as that way the reader can see the response
> immediately without scrolling down through the history.

You do realize, as I see that being ignored more and more, that the
quoting serves a *purpose*? Selective quoting allows to reply to
only those parts that are relevant to the discussion.

I communicate with people and they don't know what I'm speaking of
because they don't read their own mail context I kindly provide.

> As more and more people use smartphones with limited screen
> real-estate to read their mail, bottom-posting mailing lists will
> become ever less relevant. I don't read ltp on my phone as it's
> simply too much of a pain. I respect the rights of some users of
> this list to remain in the dark ages, it's their choice, but their
> audience is dwindling.

Seriously, get yourself a better MUA. I don't see any problem coping
with *reading* mailing list mail with K9. Replying is another beast,
though. (Given its insistence on doing a full-quote, even if the text is
below the quoting.)

Kind regards
Philipp Kern

Version: GnuPG v1.4.12 (GNU/Linux)