[ltp] using Middleton BIOS on Linux (for SATA2)

Paul Seelig linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 26 Jan 2013 14:36:31 +0100

On 01/24/2013 01:31 AM, green wrote:
> I am also interested in the Middleton BIOS for Intel Dynamic Acceleration.
> The `ida` flag is already listed in /proc/cpuinfo (using an official BIOS and
> Linux 3.2.0), but I assume I need the unofficial BIOS to make it work.  How
> do I find out whether IDA is working?  Or is it already working:
>
> $ cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_frequencies
> 1801000 1800000 1200000 800000
>
> The processor is (according to /proc/cpuinfo) a Core 2 Duo T7100 running at
> 1.80GHz.

Better redirect your attention to the following place, where such things
receive the dedicated attention of some people who care about these
specific aspects:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/windows-os-software/477704-how-enable-intel-dynamic-acceleration-ida-both-cores-core-2-duo.html

A quick Google search for "Dual IDA Linux" turned up this here:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/windows-os-software/477704-how-enable-intel-dynamic-acceleration-ida-both-cores-core-2-duo-35.html#post7717709

Don't know if this is of any help, so you will have to read and decide
yourself if this source is of any value for you.

You might also want to a search at http://forum.thinkpads.com for
further education in that matter.

Personally, i wouldn't bother about further enhancing CPU speed, as i
think that it is much more worthwhile to rather remove the real
bottleneck of the HDD by replacing it with a SSD.

Naturally, it all depends on your very own computing requirements - one
size definitely doesn't fit all.

Regards,
Paul