[ltp] using Middleton BIOS on Linux (for SATA2)

Paul Seelig linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 26 Jan 2013 14:36:31 +0100

On 01/24/2013 01:31 AM, green wrote:
> I am also interested in the Middleton BIOS for Intel Dynamic Acceleration.
> The `ida` flag is already listed in /proc/cpuinfo (using an official BIOS and
> Linux 3.2.0), but I assume I need the unofficial BIOS to make it work.  How
> do I find out whether IDA is working?  Or is it already working:
> $ cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_frequencies
> 1801000 1800000 1200000 800000
> The processor is (according to /proc/cpuinfo) a Core 2 Duo T7100 running at
> 1.80GHz.
Better redirect your attention to the following place, where such things
receive the dedicated attention of some people who care about these
specific aspects:

A quick Google search for "Dual IDA Linux" turned up this here:

Don't know if this is of any help, so you will have to read and decide
yourself if this source is of any value for you.

You might also want to a search at http://forum.thinkpads.com for
further education in that matter.

Personally, i wouldn't bother about further enhancing CPU speed, as i
think that it is much more worthwhile to rather remove the real
bottleneck of the HDD by replacing it with a SSD.

Naturally, it all depends on your very own computing requirements - one
size definitely doesn't fit all.