[ltp] Thinkpad T-60 fan replacement UK

green linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 19 Mar 2013 22:12:31 -0500

--aVD9QWMuhilNxW9f

Carles Pina i Estany wrote at 2013-03-19 12:09 -0500:
> On Feb/24/2013, green wrote:
> > Okay, so I decided to replace the fan on my T61.  I am planning to try
> > replacing the fan only, without replacing the heatsink.  My T61 8897
>=20
> did it work?

> Let me know how it was for you! :-)

Using instructions from the hardware maintenance manual, I removed the
fan and heatsink assembly.  Replacing the fan involved (1) bending
back 3 copper tabs, (2) peeling off some tape, and (3) peeling back
some foam strips (for controlling air flow).

Mounting the new fan is mostly simple, but requires some care; I used
duct-work (aluminum foil?) tape and some sticker Velcro for replacing
the tape and parts of the foam strips, respectively.  Reusing the tape
would not have worked, but reusing the foam strips might have, had I
been more careful to not remove more than absolutely necessary.

I purchased the fan from Ebay seller ny-city-com; it *looks* like a
low-quality fan when I spin the fan with my finger (not exactly
round).  But it seems to be quiet enough and works fine.

Be sure that the new fan spins freely during and after mounting it.

--aVD9QWMuhilNxW9f

--aVD9QWMuhilNxW9f--