[ltp] Choice of ThinkPad T61

Paul Seelig linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 21 May 2013 17:31:22 +0200

On 05/21/2013 03:41 PM, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> I've a choice of two T61's:
>   T7300 (7659) with Intel GMA X3100 graphics
>   T7500 (7663) with nVidia Quadro graphics

And while we are at it, since both T61 options are of the widescreen
variety, which is not offering any advantage over the next best model
T400, for following reasons i'd rather suggest to go T400 instead:

- DDR3 RAM upgrades to 8GB are considerably cheaper than DDR2
- SATA II is included out of the box also on the UltraBay
- overall more cool/silent running, depending on CPU choice
- improved battery run time thanks to more efficient CPU's

Personally, since i can afford to not depend on CPU speed for my daily
work, the only reason for me to still stick with T61's is because i much
prefer a compact 4:3 SXGA+ resolution over any other vertically
challenged widescreen choice, and because it was possible to create a
Frankenpad using a T61 board in a 15" T60 chassis in order to still take
advantage of the "funtastic" IPS UXGA display delights.

Other than that, personally i'd rather go for a T500 or T510 which are
still at least featuring a WSXGA+ or WUXGA display with reasonable
vertical screen height.

Just as some food for thought.