[ltp] X230 with free software?

Gervase Markham linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 22 May 2013 18:42:58 +0100

Hi linux-thinkpad,

Does anyone have experience of running Ubuntu 13.04 on an X230? In
particular, is there a free-software-drivers solution for the Wifi? I
hear that hacking the BIOS to get around the whitelist hasn't been
managed with this model...

Are there any Linux-significant differences between an X220 and an X230?
I have a 2-year-old X220 which is a bit worse for wear, and am now
eligible for an upgrade at work.

Or should I be waiting for whatever Lenovo announces next (the X230s?)?
Where's the innovation in the X series these days?

Whisper it: are there other decent laptop brands in this market segment
with a trackpoint?

Gerv