[ltp] T61: battery charging inspite of tp_smapi thresholds

Dmitry E. Mikhailov linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 26 May 2013 21:45:43 +0600

On Sun, 2013-05-26 at 13:08 +0200, Paul Seelig wrote:
> On 05/26/2013 07:04 AM, Dmitry E. Mikhailov wrote:
> > The problem is traced to battery: the same behavior with the same
> > battery on two T61's with charging thresholds set - my laptop on
> > RHEL/CentOS6, other - on Win7.
> >
> Did you also check these basic battery infos?
>
> # cat /sys/devices/platform/smapi/BAT0/manufacturer
> # cat /sys/devices/platform/smapi/BAT0/manufacture_date
> # cat /sys/devices/platform/smapi/BAT0/first_use_date
> # cat /sys/devices/platform/smapi/BAT0/cycle_count
They're good. Even more, the battery behaves as new - it gives 99.87% of
advertised capacity.

> > I'm running out of ideas. Anyone?
> >
> If you bought an original battery, and it is claimed to be new, then it
> simply desn't behave as it should. I suspect it is in fact one of these
> "compatible" replacement batteries with uncalculable behavior.
>
> Ask the eBay vendor for either a prperly working replacement battery, or
> send it back, and buy a battery from a more dependable source.
I guess that's what I do. I just can't get an idea why EC force charges
it to 100%. I've noticed couple of times that EC would charge batteries
to 100% ignoring thresholds (to recalibrate?) but it was sort of a
single event.

On that 'bad' battery the 'remaining_percent_error' parameter is 7 while
on the good one it's 5. So maybe it tries to re-calibrate forever.

Could you please take a look at that parameter on your battery?

--
Best regards,
        Dmitry Mikhailov