[ltp] T410(s) support [was: recommended laptops of new batch?]

Robert Tomsick linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 13 Nov 2013 11:34:13 -0800

On Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 11:26 AM, Sean Leonard wrote:
> On Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2013 11:03:41 -0800, Mark Wotton <mwotton@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I'm looking to upgrade from my t410 - while it's a lovely machine in many
> > ways, the linux compatibility doesn't seem to be that great (suspend has
> > never worked, hibernate took some effort, sound still drops out
> > unpredictably.)
>
> Wow, I'm surprised to hear this.  What distro are you running?
>
> I have a T410s running Kubuntu 12.04.x (since release and moving up with
> the minor versions)
>
> Suspend has worked well for me, though I suspect I have the known battery
> drain problem that I haven't troubleshot.
>
> Sound has not been an issue, quirks of complicated multi-sync and -source
> pulseaudio configurations notwithstanding.
>
> I have had some issues, mostly with X and KDE failing that i suspect is
> the
> fault of either them or the driver for the Intel integrated graphics, and
> with occasional kernel panics I haven't debugged.
>
> I'm curious if others have smoothed out rough edges like mine or Mark's?

I ran a T410 with Debian for a couple years.

Suspend worked flawlessly.  I never used hibernate making it work
without being a gaping security hole was a bit of a hassle.  Sound
worked flawlessly out of the box.

Power consumption and GPU compatibility improved dramatically over the
years I used it, but it wasn't horrible out of the gate either.

-Rob