[ltp] T430(s) [was: recommended laptops of new batch?]

Tamas Papp linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 14 Nov 2013 09:08:08 +0100

On Wed, Nov 13 2013, lists@hambrecht.org wrote:

>> I'm looking to upgrade from my t410 - while it's a lovely machine in
>> many ways, the linux compatibility doesn't seem to be that great
>> (suspend has never worked, hibernate took some effort, sound still drops
>> out unpredictably.) Has anyone looked into what the new batch is likely
>> to be like linux-wise? I'm eyeing off the w540, though the numpad is a
>> bit of a turnoff.
>
> I could also recommend a T430(s). My T430s is running Fedora 19 without
> any issues. Suspend/Resume, Sound, Graphics, WLAN, Bluetooth, USB3 etc.
> is working fine.

I have a T430s.  Everything works fine, but if you are planning to buy
an ultrabay battery note that battery balancing is unlikely to be
supported, see https://github.com/teleshoes/tpacpi-bat/issues/29

That said, I can get 6-7 hours of battery time out of it with the
ultrabay battery, 4-5 from the main battery only.  The screen is so
bright that even turning the brightness down to 30% is fine for me.

Best,

Tamas