[ltp] Re: spotty wireless with t520 w/Intel wifi and xubuntu 13.04

Mon, 28 Oct 2013 13:48:50 -0200

On Sat, 26 Oct 2013, Michael Livshin wrote:
> Where was I?  Ah, yes, NetworkManager.  See, that fine piece of software
> is periodically (as in every fscking two minutes) issuing AP scans.

> Now, it looks like many Linux wireless drivers (or perhaps it's a deeper
> kernel WiFi infrastructure problem?  Apparently nobody has a real clue!)

Depends on the driver.  Some use the unified software-MAC code, others use
driver-specific code.  Older chipsets did the MAC layer in firmware (e.g.
ipw2200 from the 'Intel Centrino' era).

However, if you DO specify which driver you're using, people at
linux-wireless do know exactly where the background scanning is implemented,
and how.

> have trouble keeping a connection up and scanning at the same time,
> which trouble manifests itself by disconnection from the active AP and,
> in many cases (like with this here RTL8192CE), ceasing to see that AP
> for some time (usually, but not always, cured by reloading the driver
> module).  The problem is greatly exacerbated by poor (60% or less)
> signal in the first place.

This is clearly a kernel bug (or several), and it should be reported.  When
fixed, you should also keep notice of *where* it was fixed, since fixes for
this kind of stuff are not always backportable to the stable kernels...

> The NetworkManager maintainers are refusing to introduce a configuration
> knob to turn those moronic periodic scans off, because they figure that

And this is clearly the kind of crap that makes NM and most things Gnome a
real pain in the ass.  Even when properly implemented in the driver,
background scans *WILL* introduce large jitter spikes/latency spikes and
thus you might well want to disable it for that reason alone.

  Henrique Holschuh