[ltp] T400 slow wifi connections

Joerg Mayer linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 14 Sep 2013 08:46:07 +0200

On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 01:23:50AM +0100, Paul Marwick wrote:
> I'm running a T400 (6474-AH5). I've recently upgraded my router to
> an Asus RT-N56U (running Padavan firmware). With two different Linux
> distributions, I get consistent 150 mb/s connections to the 5 GHz AP
> in the router, and consistent 72.5 mb/s connections to the 2.4 GHz
> AP.
>
> The Linux distros are Arch (3.10.10-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT) and
> SolydX (3.9.2 or 3.10.2 kernel).
>
> Under Windows 7, I'm getting consistent 270 or 280 mb/s connections
> to the same 5 GHz AP.
>
> The wifi card in the T400 is Intel PRO/Wireless 5100 AGN [Shiloh]
> Network Connection.

So the Windows througput should be very close to the therorectical
receive maximum for the 5100. Maximum transmit should be half that.

Can you please post the output of the following commands:

iw reg get
iw dev wlan0 info
iw dev wlan0 scan -u (only paste the data for your SSID)

Thanks
    Jörg
--
Joerg Mayer                                           <jmayer@loplof.de>