[ltp] T400 slow wifi connections

Paul Marwick linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 14 Sep 2013 01:23:50 +0100

I'm running a T400 (6474-AH5). I've recently upgraded my router to an
Asus RT-N56U (running Padavan firmware). With two different Linux
distributions, I get consistent 150 mb/s connections to the 5 GHz AP in
the router, and consistent 72.5 mb/s connections to the 2.4 GHz AP.

The Linux distros are Arch (3.10.10-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT) and SolydX
(3.9.2 or 3.10.2 kernel).

Under Windows 7, I'm getting consistent 270 or 280 mb/s connections to
the same 5 GHz AP.

I have no idea at all how to troubleshoot this. In the past, Linux has
always provided faster wifi connections than Windows, so I'm hoping
there is some way to get the connections to the Asus up to the same sort
of speeds that Win 7 is capable of. Any suggestions welcome....

The wifi card in the T400 is Intel PRO/Wireless 5100 AGN [Shiloh]
Network Connection.

Paul.