[ltp] Re: Very slow starting X200 (pre-grub)

Nikos Alexandris linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 03 Dec 2014 16:21:53 +0200

On 27.11.2014 17:37, Paul van der Vlis wrote:
> Op 26-11-14 om 20:56 schreef Nikos Alexandris:
>> On 26.11.2014 21:23, Paul van der Vlis wrote:
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> I did some experiments and now my Lenovo X200 laptop boots very
>>> slow.
>>> I think it takes 20 minutes from pressing the power-button till I
>>> see
>>> grub. What to do?
>>>
>>> Background:
>>> I would like to experiment with AMT and I thought: lets install the
>>> latest bios firmware. I did install it, and I rebooted and
>>> everything
>>> seems to be OK. AMT was enabled during the install.
>>>
>>> Then I configered ME using F12 and rebooted. I did not see anything
>>> after rebooting anymore. After some experiments I did leave the
>>> laptop
>>> on, and later I saw it has booted and I could reset the the bios to
>>> defaults and turn-off AMT.
>>>
>>> After rebooting I had to wait long again, and I did press "Y" after
>>> the
>>> question to remove AMT. But it did not help, it still takes very
>>> long to
>>> start the laptop...
>>>
>>> Maybe I need to install an older bios again?
>>
>> Perhaps. Taking so long might be the bios reading the memory (RAM)
>> step-by-step.
>
> Ah, I've a 4 GB module and a 1GB module.
>
> I've flashed older firmware what works fine on other laptops (x200s,
> this is a x200 without "s"), but I the same problem: very slow boot.
> Not sure what was the firmware I used before on this machine...

I have seen such an effect in an older (now) laptop of mine, the
Samsung R20. Installing different RAM pieces, incompatible ones, I
guess, lead to an extremely slow memory reading and, at some point,
boot-up.

Nikos
--
Nikos