[ltp] Re: Very slow starting X200 (pre-grub)

Maciej Musial linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 3 Dec 2014 15:30:15 +0100

--089e0160b8700179cb050950b10c

I'm not sure now how it looks in thinkpads bios but as I remember there was
usually option like fast boot or similar and switching it on or off you
could turn on or off different checks like mentioned before memory check.
Try to check if there is something like that in your BIOS, eventually it
could be called in different way like 'memory test'.

I remember on some older PC I've turned it on to test how is it working and
behaviour was similar :)

Pozdrawiam,
Maciej Musia=C5=82

> On 27.11.2014 17:37, Paul van der Vlis wrote:

>>> Perhaps. Taking so long might be the bios reading the memory (RAM)
>>> step-by-step.
>>>

>> Ah, I've a 4 GB module and a 1GB module.
>>
>> I've flashed older firmware what works fine on other laptops (x200s,
>> this is a x200 without "s"), but I the same problem: very slow boot.
>> Not sure what was the firmware I used before on this machine...
>>

> I have seen such an effect in an older (now) laptop of mine, the Samsung
> R20. Installing different RAM pieces, incompatible ones, I guess, lead to
> an extremely slow memory reading and, at some point, boot-up.
>
> Nikos
> --
> Nikos
>
> --

--089e0160b8700179cb050950b10c

ut as I remember there was usually option like fast boot or similar and swi=
tching it on or off you could turn on or off different checks like mentione=
d before memory check. Try to check if there is something like that in your=
 BIOS, eventually it could be called in different way like &#39;memory test=
st how is it working and behaviour was similar :)<br></div><div class=3D"gm=
il_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-lef=
t:1ex"><div class=3D"HOEnZb"><div class=3D"h5">On 27.11.2014 17:37, Paul va=
n der Vlis wrote:<br>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
Op 26-11-14 om 20:56 schreef Nikos Alexandris:<br>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
On 26.11.2014 21:23, Paul van der Vlis wrote:<br>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
Hello all,<br>
I did some experiments and now my Lenovo X200 laptop boots very slow.<br>
I think it takes 20 minutes from pressing the power-button till I see<br>
grub. What to do?<br>
Background:<br>
I would like to experiment with AMT and I thought: lets install the<br>
latest bios firmware. I did install it, and I rebooted and everything<br>
seems to be OK. AMT was enabled during the install.<br>
Then I configered ME using F12 and rebooted. I did not see anything<br>
after rebooting anymore. After some experiments I did leave the laptop<br>
on, and later I saw it has booted and I could reset the the bios to<br>
defaults and turn-off AMT.<br>
After rebooting I had to wait long again, and I did press &quot;Y&quot; aft=
er the<br>
question to remove AMT. But it did not help, it still takes very long to<br=

start the laptop...<br>
Maybe I need to install an older bios again?<br>
Perhaps. Taking so long might be the bios reading the memory (RAM)<br>
step-by-step.<br>
Ah, I&#39;ve a 4 GB module and a 1GB module.<br>
I&#39;ve flashed older firmware what works fine on other laptops (x200s,<br=

this is a x200 without &quot;s&quot;), but I the same problem: very slow bo=
ot.<br>
Not sure what was the firmware I used before on this machine...<br>
I have seen such an effect in an older (now) laptop of mine, the Samsung R2=
0. Installing different RAM pieces, incompatible ones, I guess, lead to an =
extremely slow memory reading and, at some point, boot-up.<span class=3D"HO=
EnZb"><font color=3D"#888888"><br>
Nikos<br>
-- <br>
-- <br>
The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:<br>
d" target=3D"_blank">http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.<u></u>org/mailman/listi=

--089e0160b8700179cb050950b10c--