[ltp] Re: Anyone played with an X240 yet?

Peter FuPing Zhang linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 21 Feb 2014 00:42:06 -0800 (PST)

The design point is mainly for gesture operations of Windows 8, users can do
W8 gestures easily on this touchpad, it is much larger than last gen.
Another point is for the design of Ultrabook on which Intel defined a strict
request of thickness.

Unfortunately it brings some inconvinnences for some Linux users.

But regarding this link,
> https://github.com/leoluk/thinkpad-stuff/wiki/Haswell-ThinkPad-problems

It is really little possible to see those problems on X240 for 95% users I
guess.
In fact, the Linux compatibility issue that Theodore reported is very very
hard to reproduce.

For your senarioes, I don't think you will meet those kinds of critical
issues listed in above link.
A safe way is to disable Intel Rapid Start Technology and disable UEFI in
BIOS Setup, to use "Legacy Only" mode.

Every person has his/her favourites and concerns, the KB problem for other
people might not be a problem for you. I will suggest you to go to the store
to try it by yourself, then to decide to buy it or not.

-----
If you meet any Linux compatibility issues on ThinkPads, please try to ping me, I will check if there is anything I can help.