[ltp] Anyone played with an X240 yet?

Rubin Abdi linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 12 Feb 2014 10:46:52 -0800

--5mlTn3c9bgGcfcJlxV3h7aFUPDVUqoTj0

Chris Schumann wrote, On 2014-02-12 09:49:
> I'm not sure what's in the X240, or what you need in a laptop, but the
> X1 has been great^H^H^H^H^H really really good for me.

I do a lot of photo work. My X220 is setup with 16GB of memory, a 480GB
mSATA drive for my OS/apps/most of home and a 1TB spinning platter SATA
drive for photos/videos/music/things I don't frequently access. I'm
using about 11GB of memory right at this moment, and around 20% free
space on either drive (I've been putting off doing some house keeping).

Anyhow, I was drawn to the X1 series until I found out how non-user
upgradable it is. I believe the on board memory maxes out at 8GB, and
the storage interface is something in between mSATA and whatever Apple
is using in their newer Airs and MacBook Pro machines.

With the amount of photos I shoot and process, and the fact that there
still isn't anything quite like Lightroom in the Linux realm, I need
storage for all that and memory for the Windows VM I'm running. I felt
that with the X1 I would be extremely cramped compared to my current setu=
p.

Other than that it does look like a nice machine, though to be honest
the larger screen (and foot print) is a turn off for me. I want the
machine that I go anywhere with to be small (and light), I have a 27"
monitor at home, and access to monitors at other coworking places I can
simply plug into.

--=20
Rubin
rubin@starset.net