[ltp] Re: Anyone played with an X240 yet?

Bert Haskins linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 24 Feb 2014 08:11:33 -0500

On 02/21/2014 12:32 PM, Richard Neill wrote:

> On 21/02/14 16:43, Peter FP Zhang wrote:
>
> > I don't think it can be changed easily. - provide
>> more vertical screen real estate (ie not widescreen) A: Mmm, I'm afraid
>> not. I guess vertical screen looks not beautiful for most people?
>
> Please do reconsider this. There's no product in the market at the
> moment to match the wonderful large screens that you used to make.
>
> I'm typing this on a much upgraded(*) T60p with the best screen
> Lenovo/IBM ever made: 15" at 2048x1536. I'd love a new laptop, and the
> first company to make a machine with a decent screen + keyboard +
> trackpoint will get an expensive order from me!
>
> Vertical resolution is critically important for work, whereas many of
> us will never play a movie on the widescreen laptop. There are a lot
> of people who find shortscreens ugly and frustrating (especially
> Windows users who don't know how to reclaim space from the window
> manager).
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Richard
>

> (*)So far: 1 new screen, 3 disks, 2 keyboards, 3 batteries, wifi, new
> cpu, RAM, new fan. If it weighed less, and the fan were silent, and
> could take more than 3.2GB of RAM, I'd probably keep it another 7 years.
How do the high end led displays compare to the CCFD ones?
I have two R61s which I really like and would like to buy some newer
Thinkpads without going backwards.
I refuse to buy anything that has the scumsoft bios prison so I guess
that locks out the new models.
Sorry if this seems to hijack this thread.
   -Bert