[ltp] Re-use the existing screws ?

Thu, 27 Feb 2014 16:29:46 +0000

> It seems I have to replace the CMOS battery in my trusted R51 (bought in
> March, 2005). Thanks to the Thinkwiki, I found the relevant
> documentation, including the Lenovo "Hardware Maintenance Manual".
>
> That manual contains a note that screws should be used only once,
> because of their nylon coating to protect against loosening from vibration.
>
> What are your experiences with the screws:
> - Should I buy and use new ones,
> - should I re-use the current ones and apply some sealing
>    ("Loctite" comes to mind"),
> - or should I re-use the current ones and just make sure they are
>    tightened properly?

Hi,

Personally, I've never had a problem reusing the existing ones. My T60p
has been disassembled about 5 times, and still fine. You probably
needn't worry, unless you use the machine in a very high vibration or
mission critical environment. Do use a jeweller's screwdriver to prevent
over-tightening. Don't loctite them, unless you never want to open them
again!

HTH,

Richard