[ltp] E145 with AMD A4 quad core experience?

Mon, 7 Jul 2014 10:57:58 -0400

On Sun, Jul 6, 2014 at 10:54 AM, Andrey Cherepivskiy
<kosmonavt.panchenko@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 6, 2014 at 3:53 PM, Andrey Cherepivskiy
> <kosmonavt.panchenko@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I just tried the open source radeon driver. I run Gentoo x86_64.
>> Kernel 3.15.3, X Server 1.15.0, xf86-video-ati 7.3.0, glamor 0.6.0.
>>
>> The good thing, glamor brought me xv and vdpau, thanks Alex.
>>
>> On the other hand, xterm now runs extremely slow, it takes a few
>> seconds (!) to draw a screen full of text.
>>

> So the problem is extremely slow bitmap font rendering, which is
> somehow related to glamor, I guess. I can't find any solution by now.
>
> I also upgraded xf86-video-ati to 7.4.0. No difference.

You can disable tiling which will improve performance for sw fallbacks
(like aliased text) or use the version of glamor in the xserver which
now accelerates these cases.

Alex