[ltp] Debian on Thinkpad W540

José Luis García Pallero linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 25 Jun 2014 20:24:46 +0200

Hello,

I've received yet my W540 and I've installed Debian.

First of all, I've updated the BIOS to the latest 2.11 version. In
order to disable the secure boot, I have made two changes in the BIOS:

1. Config->Security->Secure Boot: Changed to DISABLED
2. Startup->UEFI->Legacy Boot: Changed to LEGACY ONLY

The first chang I'm sure it must be done, but I have some doubts about
the second one. Is correct?

Then, I've installed a minimal Debian system (as I always do) via the
netinst CD. The installation was OK, but i have problems with network
configuration. I don't know the reason, but no DHCP nor manual static
IP confiruration works. I have a T400 (this from I writing this mail)
that works without problems with Debian. I've configured the W540 in
the same way (/etc/resolv.conf, /etc/network/interfaces) but it
doesn't work. I I try to use DHCP, the system can not asingn an IP,
and if I try manual configuration 'ifup eth0' apparently works
(ifconfig shows the assigned parameters), but actually the network
doesn't work. Anyone has notiiced problems with W540, Debian and
network?

Thanks