[ltp] Debian on Thinkpad W540

Tom Roche linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 25 Jun 2014 22:20:59 -0400

Jos=C3=A9 Luis Garc=C3=ADa Pallero Wed, 25 Jun 2014 20:24:46 +0200
> Anyone has notiiced problems with W540, Debian and network?

I have a W510, which is probably a much older box. However I recently put d=
ebian (jessie/sid) on there, and had the following problem, which is easy t=
o check and fix:

+ when /etc/resolv.conf is a symlink to /etc/resolvconf/run/resolv.conf , I=
 can `nslookup`, and life is good

- when /etc/resolv.conf is "just a file," no DNS. NetworkManager seems happ=
y, and I get no error messages ... except when I try to DNS anything :-)

I'm not sure why, but, periodically, the symlink breaks. The fix is easy

$ sudo ln -sf /etc/resolvconf/run/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf

and no restart necessary: after that, DNS just works.

hoping that solves your problem, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche@pobox.com>