[ltp] Debian on Thinkpad W540

José Luis García Pallero linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 26 Jun 2014 23:47:04 +0200

Thank you for your answer, Tom. Inexplicably, today the network
detection worked and I have reinstalled Debian on the W540. o_O

Almost all works correctly (also the fan -in my T400 I have needed to
install the thinkfan package in order to make it run-). But there are
still some details that do not work:

1. The numeric pad of the keyboard was not detected. In the KDE
systemsettings I don't know which keyboard to select
2. The function keys of the keyboard are disabled by default. In order
to use it, the Fn key must be pressed. I searched an option in the
BIOS (2.11) to activate the function keys by default but apparently it
is not possible
3. I don't know how to activate the wireless card. On my old T400
there is a physical button for activate it, but there is nothing
similar on the W540. I suppose the activation should be done via
keyboard. Apparently, the F8 key could done the task, but it not works
(but the bright and volume keys works)

Any idea?

Thanks

> José Luis García Pallero Wed, 25 Jun 2014 20:24:46 +0200
>> Anyone has notiiced problems with W540, Debian and network?
>
> I have a W510, which is probably a much older box. However I recently put=
 debian (jessie/sid) on there, and had the following problem, which is easy to check and fix:

> + when /etc/resolv.conf is a symlink to /etc/resolvconf/run/resolv.conf ,=
 I can `nslookup`, and life is good

> - when /etc/resolv.conf is "just a file," no DNS. NetworkManager seems ha=
ppy, and I get no error messages ... except when I try to DNS anything :-)