[ltp] X60s 4 GB RAM PAE only 3 recognized (64 Bit)

Paul Seelig linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 14 Nov 2014 12:09:39 +0100

On 11/14/2014 09:12 AM, Uwe Brauer wrote:
> Thanks for pointing this out. I must say the switch from 2.5 to 3 did
> not cause any notable performance burst, however I replaced my HDD by  a
> SSD and this was a big performance improvement.

In most cases, adding a SSD is the best performance measure one can
apply to a given machine, as even the fastest HDD is usually still the
worst bottleneck. Once i tried my first SSD, i was completely hooked.
Now all my machines are using SSD's as their main drive, while the
former HDD's are used only for storage and backup purposes.

> But isn't it very expensive (and complicated) to replace a mainboard in
> a thinkpad?.

Well, it depends. For older and very common Thinkpads like, e.g., the
T60, mainboards can be had for very cheap (~ 20 EUR). Due to those T61
mainboards being more in demand, they can be had for around 60 EUR. But
usually it is much better to buy a broken T61 on eBay for parts which
only has a broken HDD or screen, but fully functional mainboard and CPU.

For X6*(s) the availability and parts compatibility might be another
issue, though. My experience is limited to the T6x models.

Once you get used to it, it becomes pretty easy to disassemble and
reassemble a Thinkpadin order to replace a mainboard. Thanks to the very
detailed hardware maintenance manuals (HMM) provided by Lenovo for their
Thinkpads, and also for specific user provided Frankenpad guides, it is
in fact just a matter of reading comprehension and just doing it.

There even has grown a small crafts industry of people creating such
Frankenpads from older Thinkpads, but with a much better feature set
than those originally sold by Lenovo. Some even do this for a living.

Been there, doing that. ;)

Regards,
Paul